Wednesday, August 20, 2014

From One Great Grandmother

The last of my summer projects is finished and ready to be shipped.

A few months ago my oldest grand daughter called to tell me that after three boys she was expecting a little girl.  I was so excited that I wanted to run out and start buying all kinds of little girl things.  But she wanted me to knit some headbands for the baby's first pictures.

 Oh my, I thought, I had never knitted any baby things before.  But not to be discouraged, I went to the library and got almost every baby pattern book they had.  After going through these books, I wanted to make everything I saw.  But, hey, knitting for a baby that's not here yet is a little unrealistic.  So, I cooled my enthusiasm and decided on three things.  I started with the headbands, making them in different sizes, hoping one of them will fit her little head.  A layette hat came next and I fell in love with it. I want to make more of these.  

 My last choice was a baby blanket, that is so soft and warm, I can just see this little bundle of joy wrapped up in it.  
 After mailing off all my treasures, along with some darling little girl clothes I found during the summer, my sister sent me some Bunny Tail yarn, with a pattern for a baby quilt.  I couldn't resist.  I had never seen bunny tail yarn before.  So. That was my last project and it is now ready to be sent.
It was so much fun doing this for my new great grand daughter.  My only regret is that I won't be there when she is born.  But, I have been promised a bunch of pictures.  

The greatest gifts come in small packages. Treasure them.


2 comments:

  1. Your pieces are so sweet. Thanks for sharing.

    On another note, I recently took one of your knitted market bags on vacation. It served as a great grocery bag, but also a satchel for the beach. We shoved in a thin blanket, a bottle of wine, and snacks for a sunset visit and on another trip we took the blanket, water, sunscreen, snacks, and added in two towels. It then hauled many little beach finds, like drift wood, stones, and sea pods back to our cottage. I'm so glad to own two of these bags--one always at the ready for whatever I need to cart about.

    Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhonda,
    Thanks for your great testimonial of the knitted market bags. It's always nice to hear of the many uses you can find for them. Because of the stretch you can really fill them up, as you found out on your vacation. Sounds like you had a great time at the beach. Let me know what other uses you find for the bags. I can pass them along to others.

    ReplyDelete